Top 5 Things to Do in the Preserves This Week March 17, 2017
1. Get Sticky with maple syrup. Find out where maple syrup comes from at Get Sticky! Maple Syrup Day on Saturday, March 18 at Fullersburg Woods in Oak Brook. Take a 75-minute guided tour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and enjoy samples along the way. Tours start every 20 minutes. The all-ages program costs $10 per person. Register online or at 630-850-8110.
2. Enjoy a birder’s musical delight. From a bevy of swans to a watch of nightingales, enjoy the Acappellago chamber choir’s “Escape to … Birdland” on Saturday, March 18 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook. This performance is a birder’s delight! The program costs $12 ‒ $15 per person and is for ages 10 and up (under 16 with an adult). Birders with membership cards for local birdwatching/ornithological societies get a discount at the ticket table if they show their cards. Purchase tickets at acappellago.org or by calling 708-484-3797.
3. Go on a treasure hunt. Try a family-friendly treasure-hunting activity using a GPS unit to discover hidden caches at Navigation: Geocaching on Sunday, March 19 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville. Equipment is provided. This fun program costs $5 per person and is for ages 6 and up (under 16 with an adult). Register online or at 630-933-7248.
4. Get fit in nature. Enjoy the wonders of the preserves with a ranger and naturalist and get some healthy exercise on a brisk Forest Fitness Walk on Monday, March 20 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at Fullersburg Woods in Oak Brook. Did you know that walking on a trail for 30 minutes burns 102 calories? The program is for ages 18 and up and costs $4 per person in advance or $6 at the walk. Register online or at 630-850-8110.
5. Become a dragonfly monitor. Interested in being a dragonfly monitor? Find out what it takes at a Dragonfly Monitoring Workshop on Thursday, March 23 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Danada headquarters in Wheaton. The workshop will serve as a training session for beginners and a refresher course for returning volunteers. No prior knowledge of dragonflies is necessary. The free program is for ages 18 and up. Register by calling 630-206-9630 or email@example.com.
Kids, mark your calendars! Kids ages 15 and under are invited to experience the thrill of catching a fish at Trout Fishing for Kids on Saturday, March 25 from 8 a.m. to noon at Wood Dale Grove Forest Preserve in Wood Dale. Kids get a great opportunity to fish 9-acre Grove Lake after it’s been stocked with rainbow trout but before the official spring opener, giving them a better chance to catch a fish. The event is free and registration is not required.
Nurture nature by helping at one of these upcoming Volunteer Restoration Workdays. Help remove nonnative plants or spread seeds. For ages 8 and up; under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Register at (630) 206-9630 at least five business days prior (10 days for groups of five or more).
More volunteer opportunities